Tuesday, June 9, 2009

B Batch Seedlings

This is what they looked like Some time around the end of December 2007. I planted a few seeds earlier but after about a month only one sprouted and failed to grow. I planted the rest of the pod in a deli container not expecting a great yield. To my surprise I got more than I bargained for. I had to separate the seedlings and space them out in about 4 or 5 different containers.




After they grew out, I put them in solo cups and assigned them each a number. Because it was such a huge batch, not all of the seedlings got assigned their number right away. The last one got it's number just this last week. Out of about 70-80 that sprouted 50 (or 51) of them grew. Out of those over 40 grew to about standard/small standard size.



This was the first grouping I took from the B batch and assigned their numbers.


Mother: Rhapsodie Stephanie (1995 version)
Father: Ultra Violet (Green Circle/ Blansit 1996) Unknown. Not an Anthoflores variety like I once thought. (It's shown with it's most intense cool temperature colors)







Like I did with the A batch I will go down and list them, noting whether I am keeping the plant or not. I also added some observations I made as I did the cross. For me this is like a science experiment. I like to play around and see what things I learn in the process.


The numbers I didn't list may have been rather plain, and I didn't think to capture a photo. Some of them I gave away to friends and some I gave to my grandma's church to help raise funds. Some of the African violets may have died without being able to get a photo. Or it could very well be alive and thriving, but hasn't bloomed or I haven't captured a photo and thought to get it's label with the photo shoot. If it is not listed, you can assume one of those things happened.


Objective for this batch:
- see what I can get if I can actually do it.
- aiming for a fancier batch than "A"
- ideally have "father's" variable color pattern, Geneva edge and a little green(?)
- Possibly the above with mother's flower shape and color.
- heavy bloomers like both parents.


Results (estimated - (?) compare with photo results):
- Colors: Deep violet (dark colors are recessive), medium blue (violet), magenta, pink, and nearly white.
- roughly 1/2 with geneva edge / some green (?)
- 1/2 solid color (?)
- 1/2 with variable darker center/lighter edge (?)
- I found that Geneva edge (white border) seems to be a separate gene from "variable white" (the wider border of white that varies by temperature)


Flowers:
- roughly 1/4th star shaped blooms (both parents are carriers)
- of the other 3/4 shapes, some were "Violet" shaped and some were pansy shaped. I'm not sure on the exact percentage. (I call flowers that have a noticable size difference between upper and lower petals "Violet shaped".)
- 1/4th single droppers
- size of blooms: ranged average to possibly large.
- 1/2 frilly edged and 1/2 straight (?) (or a range with most being inbetween(?)


Leaves:
- dark green to light green. Medium green being probably most common.
- red reverse with about 3/4 of the offspring.
- check photos for leaf shape and edge.


Size: Small standard - standard.


Comments: I consider this a large batch. The first plainting didn't go well, so I planted the rest of the pod and this is what I got.


From a genetic standpoint I wonder what is more likely: 1. The genes for a solid color and then a gene that "masks" the color by "putting" white over the solid color? (think dog and cat genetics. White cats, genetically are colored but have something that "turns off" the color) 2. Or is it a white flower with added genes for color in some areas?
If I were to guess, I think it's likely #1. To me it makes the most sense, if you think about it. That may also explain the process and why temperature affects the color. Also why sometimes flowers with such patterns may sport into solid colored blooms. (like what eventually happened with the "father" of this batch. With the offspring, I got to see violets bloom with and without the variable white border, and with or without a geneva edge.


You can read more about African Violet traits here and compare with my results.


Bolded are the ones I am keeping for the time being.


B1





Keeping it for the time being. I like the star shape and color pattern. Geneva edge and variable blue. Variable edge seems to tie with a darker center in most of the blooms. (Or if I were to go by my guess - hypothesis - I would say the blue is it's "true" color but is being covered up by a gene "turning off" the blue in the center part of each petal.)


B2 "Butterfly Spring Blossom"





Keeper. Has a variable darker edge. Doesn't appear to have a darker center. Has a slight geneva edge. From a glance it could almost look tri-colored (green/white, pink, and magenta)(refer to above comment about white and variable color.)


B3





I like the little double flowers and their color pattern, but the foliage growth leaves more to be desired. It could be it doesn't like the lighting I'm giving it. I'm testing this a bit longer to see before I give it away.
2012 Update: I gave it away. It opened up to give decent symmetry. (the person I gave it to thought it was perfect). The recovered/restarted plant was pretty but too plain in comparison to other violets in this batch. The flowers opened up as a single plain bi-colored pansy with plain light green leaves. It just wasn't enough to impress me.


B4 "Butterfly's Raspberry Sherbet"





Keeper. Both blooms and Foliage = win. Flower color: 2-toned pink/speckled magenta, variable darker center and edges. The transition from light to dark is smooth. No Geneva edge. Foliage: Dark green, edge: scalloped(?) Has the potential to grow wavy or straight. I prefer wavy.
I had a hard time picking a photo for this post out of the choices: show this plant blooming as a double, but not a very good view of petal texture and color, close-up of the flowers, but not the plant. Finally I decided on this one. It shows it blooming as a single (seems to be most common for it to bloom this way) and a good view of the foliage.


B6


Solid blue, plain single sticktite pansy flowers. medium green leaves. Edge: nearly smooth. Slightly serrated. Variable red reverse. Veins, dusty brown-red to pale. Growth and flowers didn't impress me. It grew okay at first, though not as organized looking as others shown here. I offered it up to be sold at a church rummage sale a couple years ago. It was left behind. It grew like celery. Even if it got enough light it didn't grow flat. Neck kept getting longer. 6-10-11 The plant didn't look great due to neglect. It had odd brown rot spots on leaves. I chucked the plant in the trash. Not worth saving.


B7





It kind of resembles the "dad" plant but with "mom's" colors. Lighter green leaves like "dad". Not sure if I still have it. I may have given it away.


B9





I may have given this one away. It was pretty. Medium blue (violet) semi-double star.


B10 Butterfly Gossamer Pink





Keeper. Semi double- single, 2 tone pink w/ darker eye. Please don't judge symmetry by the photo. It took a fall before it bloomed and the leaves broke.


B14 Alice's Violet





Hard to see but it's got variable pink. Pansy shaped bloom. It's a gift to someone in my family.


B15 Butterfly Blue Eye





It's a single dropper but somehow won it's place to be considered a keeper. Single star w/ variable blue eye.


B19 Butterfly Twinkling Star





Another dropper that's found its place on my keeper list. At least for the time being. Named it for it's glittery white appearance. It seems to have issues with birthmarking (random red blotches on leaves), which causes interesting effects on the flowers. Eventually this may turn out to be a near solid color.


B22





When it first opened up I was about to name it "Butterfly Scruffy Puppy" for it's kind of awkward shaped blooms w/ yellow-green ends. Medium-green leaves. Like a few others in this batch, the top 2 petals may be lighter than the bottom three. (the darker colors seems to be kind of a speckled effect, just like with B4)


B23





Nearly identical to B22, except on a dark green leaf background.


B24





I really love how the centers pick up the blue (violet). Semi-double star. Variable "blue".


B25 Butterfly Pieris Whites





Shown with it's "winter" colors.
Named after a family of white butterflies. When it opened in the summer flowers were all white with an occasional hint of pink. Sometimes the lower center petal gets a nice "pinched" (fluted) look to it. I can't tell if it is a dropper or not. It bloomed as a semi-double once, so it may not be. The way it's connected, resembles a dropper, but I haven't seen it drop any flowers yet.


B26





Another dropper, but I like the unique petal shape and the fluted ends. It's probably the darkest violet (blue) out of the B batch.


B28 Butterfly Bombshell





Unique flower shape, extremely fluted w/ ruffled ends. The pink here is a coral? Sometimes has light yellow-green ends.


B29





Given away, I believe. Pink w/darker eye.


B30





Blooming as a double. I'm keeping an eye on this one to see if it is consistant.


B32





I'm not sure if I still have it or not.


B33





Keeper. I love the chartreuse ends. Light pink on dark green leaves.


B34





Hard to see, but it does have a slightly darker center. It is blue (violet) with a magenta glitter to the petals. I'm keeping it for now. So far seems to be a sticktite.


B35





Looks like 34, but with a geneva edge. Note: The back of the petals are lighter. This has an effect on how the color shows on the front of the flower.


B36





I like the wide shape of the flower, and the nice 2-tone effect to the petals/darker center w/ geneva edge but it is a dropper. I had to adjust the colors with the image to look close to the actual color. (the actual color is a little more blue and possibly slightly darker.)


B38





Reminds me of B35, but w/frilly leaves and flower edge. This variety faced a setback. I'm hoping it will survive but I am not sure.


B42





Reminds me of Optimara Chico by how it blooms. I like the added green geneva edge. It's got some birthmarking going on (random red blotches on leaves). It may sport to a solid color eventually.


B43





Reminds me of B33, only lighter. Both leaves and flower color are lighter than B33.


B46





"fluffy" (frilly) white star. I'd like to keep it to see if it is a true white or has color like some of the other "whites" out of the B batch. So far it's shown just white. This variety faced a setback. I hope it survives long enough for me to find out.


Butterfly Morpho Blue (number unknown)





This variety was labeled as B something, but when I repotted it, I wrote the name I gave it and "B". I must have forgotten to write the rest of the number. For some reason I seem to think it may have been B20, but I don't have any photos to prove that. It's got a variable geneva edge. Flowers start off medium blue (violet) and then fade to a dusty blue as the flowers age.

No comments:

Post a Comment