Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Oh No!

How this

became this....

#@$! crown rot. Lost seedpod is lost. It happens to the best of us. Losing an African violet is not the end of the world. Just do what you can to save it, and if that doesn't work, then start over. Whatever happens, does not mean having to give up on African Violets. Too many people get discouraged at this point. But even the best of gardeners can still end up killing a few plants (or more.)

Fortunately I have a back-up baby version of this variety. Now to figure out why this is happening and how to prevent it from attacking more of my violets. There are a few things that stand in mind. I haven't been consistent with watering. I think I let it dry out while I was at work. I could have gotten water in the crown when watering. Or I could have failed to clean my tools properly when removing suckers.

If you're wondering what happened, I put the crown in a fresh pot of soil and bagged it with a ziplock. I tried dusting some cinnamon around the base. It may recover. If not, then at least I tried.

I did find another affected violet a week later, but I hope I saved it by finding the wilted leaf and removing all the rot where it came from. I may have caught it early. Fortunately there was just one spot. I removed all the lower leaves for good measure.

Follow up: The plant died. It rotted in the bag. Everything. All into mush. I planted the 2nd gen leaf clone in a 4" pot. The starter is now beginning to grow into standard size. I hope it will bloom just as pretty when it gets to full size. I really miss it's unusual wide, almost thumbprint-like raspberry edging, solid pink middles, and coral eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment